Conversion Guide - Type Zero Stealth/Urban XV 8
This Article was written by:
So, the project can be divided into three phases. The first phase concentrates on getting the right look from the torso and the backpack, and is shown below.
First is an array of extra parts that you'll need. The top pieces of an XV 25 torso, an XV 8 shoulder pad, an XV 25 marker/objective thingy (less aerial), 2 XV 25 burst cannon cowlings, an XV 25 left and right shoulder pad, and (not shown) the muzzle ends of an ion cannon.
We want to mark up our front torso section to make sure everything fits correctly.
And then we cut. A hobby saw is most useful here.
Then we glue in the XV 8 shoulder and the objective thingy.
The front torso section is now done.
The rear torso and jetpack come next. Again, it's a good idea to mark them up before cutting.
And then we cut, making sure to cut nice and straight so we can join things up with a minimum of fuss later on.
Note that the little "tabs" remaining on the side of this torso section will be removed and smoother down.
Next we assemble the jetpack. This step is pretty foolproof as there's really only one way in which the bits go together nicely.
Note the little cut/shelf in the rear of the middle torso section?
Yeah, that's there because the lower end of the jetpack needs a little extra room for mounting.
And this is the completed rear torso section.
This is the end of phase 1.
The second phase concentrates on putting phase 1 together (dead simple), and bringing the rest of the body together (arms, legs, and base).
So, the front of the torso, assembled.
Note that the stealthsuit shoulder pads are now glued on beneath the XV 8 shoulder.
The torso showing the placement of the XV 25 upper torso bits.
The bits used for the legs, with the head at the top for no apparent reason (XV 8 head plus XV 8 target lock).
Note that the ion cannon muzzles are cut down and sanded to shape, otherwise they appear too thick for the legs.
And now, the conversion needs a bit more… body. (cookie if you can get the reference. )
And the final step of phase 2, the base. 2 layers of 5mm foamcore and a circle of cardboard carved into my "basilica" pattern with a very sharp x-acto knife.
The feet were pinned on after determining the position of the legs and feet with blu-tak.
Phase 2 is now complete.
The third phase is about putting together the rest of the suit, and all the minor details that might be missed.
Like the head, for instance.
Parts breakdown: XV 8 head, target lock, the tip of drone antennae (small bits at the front of the head) the tip of vehicle sensor spines (the slightly larger bits behind those), stealth antenna (the antenna).
And of course, when everything is put together, and the weapons added, you get something like this:
The parts on the shoulders are cut down burst cannon cowlings that have also been cut lengthwise. The parts on the shins are the ends of those same burst cannon cowlings. The targeting arrays (the funny things on the shoulder/XV 8 torso bits) are the boxes from the side of a burst cannon.