This Article was written by:
[If your are pointy with this being a 40k site, pretend the models above are Fire Warriors!]
The Cliffs of Slai
- Pink foam
- Static grass
- Small piece of MDF board
- Paper clips
- Digital camera (Recommended)
- Water based paint (Chaos black, codex grey, or preferably fortress grey and skull white)
- Stanley knife
- Old/Worn brush (For applying glue)
- Good brushes (For applying paint)
1. Cut the foam into small blocks (4-5 cm each)
2. Carefully cut random edges off each block, until they no longer look like a block, but make sure they have a flat top.
Suggestion: Use a sawing motion to cut the top, to get a better texture.
3. Cut away a bit of the edges so they blend in with the flatter top.
4. Then cut some of them in half, at approx. 45 degrees
5. Paint all the pieces in chaos black. Ensure that no pink is visible; after all pink cliffs don't look great!
6. Without gluing them together, arrange the pieces in a way that looks natural, but is still playable.
7. Take a picture of your arrangement before pulling it apart, so you can see how you fitted it together latter on.
8. Sand down he edged of the MDF until you have a finish that blends nicely into the table top.
9. Straighten out your paper clips and cut them into 2-3cm lengths. You now have pins.
10. Use your "pins" and PVA to glue the blocks together, using the photograph you took earlier as a reference.
11. Glue your creation onto the base (the MDF).
12. Using watered down PVA glue sand around the base of the cliff, and in the cracks between the rocks. Also glue some finer sand around the base.
13. Give the whole thing 2-4 coats of Black (not spray) that has been mixed with a little detergent.
14. Using a larger brush Dry brush the whole thing with codex grey, or fortress grey, and again with a small amount of skull white.
15. Finally use watered down PVA to glue the static grass around the base and in the cracks between the rocks. Be careful not to over do this step after all there is only so much grass that can grow between rocks.
Congratulations you now have a fly functioning cliff for use in you games.